Sunday 4 February 2024

The short and sweet life of Laddoo

This is a story of our darling little kitten, “Laddoo" who came in our life for a short time to spread love, fun and joy, but was snatched away from life by a sudden attack of pneumonia. Her appearance and disappearance in our lives was quite dramatic. Few months back, one morning, when I opened the door, I found a mother cat was lying on our drive way, and was feeding her four little kittens, and the scene touched my heart. So I asked my maid to bring a big bowl full of milk to them, which they finished in no time. This routine continued several times every day, and they were happy and we were happy too. When Kittens became healthy and started playing in the garden, one day the mother cat disappeared, leaving her kittens in our hands. Respecting her trust, we took good care of them. When they became little bigger and stronger, one day, parents came and took them away to some unknown destination. I accepted their choice and not interfere in their independence and prayed for them to enjoy a happy independent life. More than a month passed by, one evening, one little kitten , hungry and famished, came back to us. We named her Laddoo. Soon she adopted our garden as her own home, started jumping around. Climbing trees and chasing hidden flies in the bushes. These were her favourite games. She respected our elderly three legged dog, Gujia, and he in turn, kept a peaceful distance. Whenever Gujia was out, she moved away and hid in a bush. Gujia was also lovingly tolerant to her naughtiness. It was fun to watch their mutual understanding. Laddoo loved to join me every day on my morning walk. Whenever I came out with my walker, she came running and walked zigzagging under my walker as I did my daily walk up and down the driveway. Though my son bought a fancy climbing platform for her to rest but she preferred to climb up on my lap, and take a quick nap. But all good things come to an end, sometimes suddenly with a harsh turn of life. With a sudden attack of pneumonia, Laddoo left us too early, leaving her sweet memories all around, she breathed her last, lying on my lap. With prayers, flowers and blessings we buried her in our garden , where our earlier dear pets are lying and protecting us still now. Like waves on the ocean, every life comes from and goes back to the universal energy, just to come back again in a new form in due time. Life energy is indestructible. This is what I believe and it brings me solace. It reminds me a few beautiful lines of Tagore. He said, “ what depart and what remain, if only I surrender them all to you , they do not erode, but in your magnetic glory lie alert. In you are countless moons and suns, not a fragment goes astray. Will not my tiny treasure then also reside at your feet “.

No comments:

Post a Comment